We work together to continually develop and implement sustainable solutions. Through Green Thread, our environmental sustainability platform, we bring innovative and efficient solutions to life. We are passionately focused on reducing the environmental impact within our operations.
Here are just a few ways we work to make our campus more environmentally conscious:
Did you know Dining Services sources food from many local farmers, growers and distributors? The list changes throughout the year depending on seasonality and availability. However, here is a sampling of a few of our partners:
- Solar Farms Inc: Carthage, NC
- CL Henderson: Hendersonville, NC
- Lucky Leaf Gardens: Harrisburg, NC
- Patterson Farms: China Grove, NC
- Critcher Bros: Deep Gap, NC
- In 2014, The Asheville School Dining program transitioned to cage-free shell eggs.
- The Asheville School Dining program transitioned to 100% sustainable canned tuna as of April 2016.
- Only anti-biotic free deli meat is served in the dining hall.
- All ecoGrounds coffees are certified Organic, Fair Trade, Rainforest Alliance or Direct Trade.
Other Sustainability Initiatives
- Waste is tracked daily to reduce carbon footprint.
- We utilize produce from the Campus Garden, such as herbs, radish, mixed greens, and spinach.
- Dining Services collaborates with The Asheville School and Mitchell Cabinet to donate food to those in need in the community.